Jump to Navigation

Canton Child Custody Attorney

Ohio Visitation and Child Support Enforcement Lawyer

While there are fewer divorces in Northeastern Ohio than there were 10 years ago, the number of child custody cases continues to go up. The reason: an increasing number of child custody disputes involve parents who are not married.

I'm Michael Boske, a family law attorney in Canton, Ohio. I have over 22 years of experience in helping my clients negotiate child custody and visitation agreements (known as parenting plans) following the breakup of a marriage or relationship. To schedule your consultation, call me at 330-455-6400 to schedule your consultation.

Shared Parenting Plans

Ohio courts favor shared parenting after divorce, as long as the mother and father have the ability to get along and act in the child's best interest. "Shared parenting" means that both parents will make major decisions on issues such as school, religious upbringing and medical care. Even when parenting is shared, one parent will usually have primary residential custody of the child, at least during the school year.

If the parents cannot agree who should have primary residential custody, the issue will be left to the family court to decide. In the past, Ohio courts tended to award primary residential custody to the mother — and continue to do so with younger children. However, I have had significant success as an attorney representing both fathers and mothers who want to be the primary residential parent. The courts will consider the best interests of the child when deciding which parent will have primary custody.

Unmarried Parents and Child Custody

In the case of unmarried parents, the courts are likely to award primary child custody to the parent who has been the primary caretaker of the child, usually the mother. However, any father has the right to seek visitation or custody of his child. I will fight aggressively for fathers' rights in these matters. If paternity is disputed, it is resolved by way of a DNA test.

When paternity is established, the father may also be ordered to make child support payments.

To discuss your child custody case, contact lawyer Michael Boske in Canton, Ohio.

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Contact Our Firm

122 Central Plaza North
Canton, OH 44702-1448
Phone 330-455-6400
Fax 330-455-8700
Map & Directions
E-mail Us